Union Springs Telephone Company

USTC Progressiveness in the Community logoUSTCUSTC

 ~
  
Contact Us
334-738-4400
  
Repair Service 334-738-2114
  
Dial-Up Support
1-800-352-8156
  
High Speed Help
1-888-394-4772
   
Location
206 Hardaway Avenue East
PO Box 272
Union Springs, Alabama 36089
  
Hours
Monday-Friday
7:30am-4:00pm
  

 

Upgrade to a new standards-based browser.
Read More
  
Structured
in compliance with
Web Accessibility Initiative
of the
World Wide Web Consortium.

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

Valid CSS!

 

  

  

USTConline.net Email
Access it from anywhere!
webmail.ustconline.net

USTConline.net Voicemail
Access it from anywhere!
voicemail.ustconline.net

SURF SAFELY
Trend Micro Internet Security only $1.25/mo

More Information

  

Need help
with your computer?

We can help!
Call today for help!
(334) 738-4400
Technical Support

  

Call before you dig!
Alabama One Call
1-800-292-8525

(48 hrs in advance)

  

Translate this Website

Google translation is offered as a service only USTC can not be held responsible for any misunderstanings due to an error in translation. Check all information carefully.

Growing our Service
to support your needs.
USTC Offices at Night

Our History

We are proud to have served this community since 1955.

The timeline below, follows our progress from our start in 1955 with 325 customers to today,when we provide service to 900 square miles of Bullock, Pike, Barbour and Macon counties...an area roughly equivalent to the size of Rhode Island.

  

Timeline from USTC Founding to Present
Year Event

1955

The company was purchased by Robert M. Pirnie and W. E. Kelley. There were 325 subscribers. The newly formed company began an upgrade of expansion with new technology and professional staffing.

1957

Early magneto system phones were converted to common battery. Early antique wooden phones were replaced with modern equipment.

1959

A new building featuring dial equipment allows the termination of five operators (Edna Roughton, June McDaniel, Ann Rotton, Hester Reynolds, Dora Cole). Two other operators, Lucy and Nell Lott were transferred into the business office.

1960

The company now has 1,200 access lines and four outside telephone booths - the first ever for the county.

1961

Purchase of the Midway exchange offers extension of services between Midway and Union Springs.

1963

R. M. Pirnie brings Communications Equipment and Contracting Company to Bullock County, boosting employment in the community and enhancing telephone capacity.

1965

Andrew R. Williams joins company as General Manager, and later Vice President.

1966

Direct Distance Dialing (DDD) service inaugurated.
  
First mobile service begun. A tall tower on the highest point in Bullock County is built.
  
Company offers paid vacations to employees, day-off observation of holidays and a hospitalization plan - first independent business offering these employee benefits.

1967

All telephones installed were brand new units (not rebuilt)-a first for the entire telephone industry. Trouble reports fall
below the national average—2,300 access lines now served.
  
May 11th—The one-hundred-millionth telephone was installed in the United States.
  
National Telephone Day celebrated in Alabama. Union Springs Telephone officials in the office of Governor Lurleen Wallace
receive the proclamation.

1968

R. M. Pirnie elected President of Alabama Mississippi
Independent Telephone Association. Re-elected for second term in 1969.

1969

Service extended to Hannon. 125,000 feet of underground cable installed in Midway, new building under construction.

1970

Midway Central office building completed. Remaining 250 ten-party line customers reduced to four"party lines.
  
Bob Pirnie III joins company. Moved to Presidency in 1988.

1971

A 200 line addition of K60 Crossbar dial equipment is completed. Company now has 3,000 access lines.
  
Automatic Number Identification installed which records customer's number on long distance connections. Midway Central office is cut over. Now four exchanges, Fort Davis, Perote, Midway and Union Springs have 3,500 customers and over 536 miles of line over four counties. Push button dial phones now five times faster than older rotary dials.

1973

Time and temperature added to all exchanges.

1974

w. E. Kelley, co-owner and 15-year president, dies.

1975

Fort Davis now all one-party lines.
  
Employee retirement plan initiated.
  
Billie Pirnie, director of Public Relations, announces survey results: 86% of customers pleased with service; 85% reported all troubles corrected in less than one day. Commendation given company by U.S. Telephone Association.
  
September 17, Hurricane Eloise strikes southern Alabama rendering over two million dollars damage and cutting all
telephone service for nearly 24 hours. Emergency generators brought in and system gets back on line.

1976

Mike Hasson, lineman, installs the 4,000th phone for Union Springs Telephone heralding 55% growth over previous five years. Now 0+, Collect, Credit Card and Third-Party
dialing all available. Larry Grogan joins company as comptroller.
  
Company logo changed from "Partners for Progress in the Community" to "Progressiveness in the Community."

1980

Union Springs Telephone expands into an allied field. A franchise for Union Springs was accepted for cable television service.

1982

R. M. Pirnie is elected president of the United States Independent Telephone Association. Among his actions is to reconfigure the organization and lay groundwork for including
Bell companies in this national group.

1983

The telephone industry is deregulated by Congress. New models of operation become necessary if a small company is to survive.
  
A 20-foot microwave dish is erected behind
central office for long distance service by satellite.

1984

Midway, Alabama added to cable service.

1985

A digital switch is added to the system, bringing it to state-of-the-art.

1986

R. M. Pirnie awarded the Distinguished Service Medallion; the highest honor in the national telephone industry.

1988

Notasulga, Alabama cable service is added.

1989

Autaugaville, Loachapoka and Lake Martin, Alabama cable systems were built. At this point, there are more cable customers on line than telephone subscribers in the system.
  
Fiber optic cables installed to provide improved service between Montgomery and Union Springs.

1991

May 29th, Robert M. Pirnie, Jr. dies. On November 5, Mr. Pirnie was inducted posthumously into the United States Independent Pioneer Association Hall of Fame at the national meeting in Honolulu, Hawaii. Mrs. Pirnie becomes President.

1999

A beautiful new business and executive office is constructed in Union Springs.

2000

System upgrades begin with the installation of a direct fiber optic network connecting Montgomery and Union Springs.

2003

USTC undergoes a total upgrade and conversion of all equipment in the Central Office to enable completion of a state-of-the-art fiber optic system for USTC.
  
Installation of fiber-optic cable from Central Office to customer's home or business begins, thus enabling USTC to offer high speed internet service, telephone and cable transmission through one cable to the customer.

2005

Union Springs Telephone Company proudly celebrates 50 years of service to the community.

 

  

  

 

  
Copyright © 2009-2013. Union Springs Telephone Company. All rights reserved.

Web site design and maintenance by TEAM Support, Inc.